Monday, August 24, 2009

Genealogy

My dad’s birthday was this past weekend. He brought an old photo with him to lunch on Saturday. Dad asked me to scan it and print copies.

The picture shows my dad holding my older brother who was just seven months old in the photo. (I should have Photoshopped some horns onto him for torturing me as he did while growing up!) Next to my father is his mother. Next to my grandmother is her mother. And next to my grandmother’s mother is her father. That's my great-great-grandfather with the cigar in his hand on the very left.

Five generations all in one photograph! You don’t see that everyday, now do you? (And on top of that, the photo makes my dad look tall!)

My dad spent some time trying to remember his great grandfather’s first name, but could never think of it.

So I thought I’d do something nice and search for it online. I started the search with my grandparent's names. There were more than 15 million entries that might be matches to them. (Oh, if only I had been born with a less common last name!)

Any ideas on the best genealogy sites? Visit the Snackworthy site and submit a comment to provide your best suggestions!

Here’s what I tried so far:

Ancestry.com
Genealogy.com

Familysearch.org

No comments: