Friday, August 14, 2009

Zombie Squirrels

A couple of weeks ago, my yoga instructor read a poem from Mary Oliver at the end of class titled “Snow Geese” from her book “Why I Wake Early”. It was inspiring and thought provoking – to live in the now and enjoy the beauty all around us.

I typically wake up early in the morning and go to the gym with a work out buddy. The trick is to get your exercise before your mind wakes up and gives you excuses to avoid it. (I’ve been told that I look like the walking dead at the gym.) After a half hour of weights, we typically run or walk through the neighborhood for some cardio all before the sun comes up and it gets too hot.

On the morning after yoga with the poetry, I was relating the poem’s meaning to my friend. We were both talking and talking and talking so much that we almost didn’t notice the dead squirrel lying in the middle of the sidewalk. Until my friend almost stepped on it. And shrieked. And jumped behind me and grabbed my shirt.

We continued walking, while I laughed (for the rest of the day). A few days later, the squirrel was finally gone, which left us speculating about zombie squirrels coming back to haunt our morning walks. (Don’t tell my Norwich Terrier about zombie squirrels. She’ll never get any sleep.)

Interestingly, a web developer created a game about zombie squirrels – sort of Buffy the Vampire Slayer, but with guns and dead rodents. Go to his site to play.

Or read some poetry if you’re into that peace, love and Zen crap.

Zombie Squirrels Attack
All Squirrels Must Die! (My dog Bobbie's favorite web site.)
Why I Wake Early

1 comment:

Interior Spaces Inc said...

I bet he didn't exactly "shriek"...or jump behind you. Does make for a good story, but I might want to see a re-play.