Friday, August 21, 2009

The Poisonwood Bible

A co-worker lent a novel to me from Oprah’s Book Club. I’m not sure how O does it all, between producing a daily television show, publishing a magazine, running a radio channel on satellite radio and managing a cable network. That’s quite an empire. And, on top of that, she reads books. (Or does she secretly just get the Cliff Notes?)

I’m a little behind her schedule. The Poisonwood Bible was on her book club a couple of years ago. (What? You thought I meant behind on managing my own television show, publishing a magazine, etc., etc.? Yeah, well that too – but really way behind schedule. Frankly, I'm lucky if I make it to work on time.)

Anyway, the story is about a family of Southern Baptists from Georgia who go on a missionary trip to the Congo in the early 1960’s. The most interesting aspect to me is the changing narrative. It is told from a completely female point of view, switching from chapter to chapter, between the voices of the four daughters and their mother.

Along the way, you learn about the culture and history of the Republic of Congo.

The book is more than 500 pages, so don’t start to read it unless you have a lot of time on your hands. You’ve got an empire to run.

But if you do, make sure you’ve got a takeout menu handy and a telephone. You won’t want to do anything else until you’ve finished the book.

The Poisonwood Bible
Cliff Notes for The Poisonwood Bible

No comments: