Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Next to Normal

My younger brother adopted a dog last year whose fur is completely white. He and his girlfriend Brandy spent considerable time trying to think of a name for the dog. They finally settled on Polar. Brandy’s reason was because the dog has white hair – like a polar bear. My brother’s reason? If anyone asked where Brandy was, he could reply “Brandy is by Polar.” (Read it aloud. Bi-polar. Got it now?)

While mental illness is not humorous (except to my brother), it sure can be the topic for a great musical (I know, who would have thought?). We saw an amazing show in New York last weekend. Titled “Next To Normal”, the show is about a family's unraveling as they struggle to cope with the mother's bi-polar disorder.

It’s from the director of Rent and it has a similar style to it. The lead actress, Alice Ripley, won a Tony for her performance as the mother and she does an amazing job.

Check out the preview on YouTube. It gives me chills each time I watch it.

View a clip on YouTube
Now go buy tickets

1 comment:

Interior Spaces Inc said...

Great show...I totally agree with you!