Monday, August 31, 2009

Facebook and politics don't mix

I’ve been “friended” on Facebook by several high school acquaintances in the past year. At first, I was flattered. (Really? You want to be friends with me? But we haven’t spoken since high school and even then, your only words to me were “Get out of the way loser.”)

It has been interesting to learn what they have all been up to since we have last spoken. What I find most fascinating is the divergent paths our political beliefs have taken. (He’s a right-wing conservative? She’s now an outspoken liberal? That sort of thing.)

But what makes me unfriend someone faster than the dogs polishing off a bowl of kibble is when these Facebook friends start complaining online about politics and posting charts, graphs and videos. (Oh yeah, there have been several.)

Just this morning, someone complained in their posting about ABC and NBC refusing to air some political commentary. Just before I unfriend this person, I wrote on their wall how much more I like Ugly Betty and 30 Rock. (I mean, really, what’s not to love about Betty Suarez and Liz Lemon?)

I’ve been told Facebook friends never know when they’ve been unfriended – unless they try to look you up again and remember you were once Facebook friends. And even if they do know, who cares? Would you walk into a party with charts about the problems with Obama’s health care reform? No friends of mine would!

Facebook Ettiquette
Emily Post - there's even an email newsletter (not that you need it, of course)
Yearbook Gift Wrap - just because it's fun
Yearbook Yourself - create a new Facebook profile pic using old yearbook photos

2 comments:

Interior Spaces Inc said...

Ya know, I completely agree with you! What I like(d) about Facebook is the social interaction, the photo sharing, the "staying connected" with friends and relatives, if even in the most passing way. I think it's a shame that it has to become a soapbox and political arena. Maybe people who feel that need should start their own blogs, and let those who might be interested read their thoughts.

Anonymous said...

I couldn't agree more........FB has become another place for those extremes in our society to spew forth their negativity.......I like the pictures and sharing with friends, whether they be old friends or current friends........since we are all so spread out it's nice to see someone that you haven't seen in a month.........