Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Hoarders

Years ago, when Charles and I first moved in together, we went through the process of consolidating furniture and getting rid of stuff that didn’t fit. (In other words, all of his furniture. Don’t get me started on his teal ceiling fan. Yeah, he had one.)

Charles had a two bedroom condo before and in one bedroom, he had a set of bunk beds. This was his childhood bed. I’m not sure what guests ever visited his condo, but I would have loved to see their expression when facing these bunk beds. They were right out of the early 70’s – very rough hewn wood with a dark stain.

Charles decided to take the beds to a consignment store. Neither of us was very familiar with consignment stores and had no idea what to ask for the beds. He mentioned this to his mother over the phone that weekend. His mom’s reply? “Hold on, I’ll get the receipt so you know how much they cost.”

I did mention this was his bed as a child, right? She had the receipt from 30+ years ago and knew exactly where to get it.

There’s a new show on A&E called Hoarders. I’ve set up a season pass on TiVo and am making Charles watch it. I’m calling it television therapy to prevent this sort of thing from being passed down to him. (Seriously, we don't have that much closet space!)

Hoarders (Watch it, but I warn you - it's very frustrating when they choose to live like that and not one Cheeto in sight! People, if you're going for sloth, you need Cheetos.)
How Not To Decorate (on BBC America - I bet the hosts have seen these bunk beds lately.)

Click here to go to Snackworthy

No comments: