Monday, September 21, 2009

YouTube Partner Program

When our bathrooms were being renovated a couple of months ago, my dad and the guy working with him spent many days replacing the plumbing under the house. Our house has a crawl space under it where all of the pipes are. Since they had ripped out the floors of the bathrooms, it was a easier to work with the pipes. The contractors decided to replace all of the piping - even out to the main water line. (Yea - more money!) Several days in a row, the water would be turned off while they worked and they would patch enough of it by the end of the day so that we could turn the water back on at night.

One afternoon, I arrived home to find Charles out by the street. He was getting ready to turn the water back on at the main valve. I walked into the house and went back to the master bath. My dad was standing on the ground (remember, no floor in the bath). He was crouched down with a flash light in one hand and a cell phone in the other. The plan was for my dad to tell Charles to turn the water on and he would check for leaks under the house.

Just as I'm walking into the bedroom, I hear him speaking into the cell phone telling Charles to turn on the water. Seconds later, one of the pipe connections in front of my dad bursts with water shooting directly into his face. They had forgotten to glue that one connection! (If it had happened on a sitcom, you would be rolling your eyes.) My dad got totally drenched and I got a good laugh! No other leaks under the house, by the way.

I recently heard about a father who posted a video on YouTube of his son after a visit to the dentist. The kid was still feeling the effects of anesthesia. His dad was part of the YouTube partner program. When the video went viral, the kid's dad made more than $25K from his share of the advertising revenue.

Which begs the question - why didn't I have a video camera that afternoon???? That must have been at least a $50K profit sharing video. D'oh!

YouTube Partner Program
David Devore After The Dentist
YouTube Video On How To Glue Plumbing Pipes
Flip Video

1 comment:

Interior Spaces Inc said...

That is the greatest story. I hate to laugh at your dad's expense, but...hahahaha