Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Desperate Classic Housewives

This past Friday, we invited the neighbors on our block over for happy hour. There’s one couple on the corner who have been retired for some time. The “mayor”, as we call him, celebrated his 80th birthday a few years ago. In his early 20’s, the mayor played drums professionally, even for Gypsie Rose Lee (Wow!).

It’s fascinating to me hearing about the past of someone older – learning what they were like before they were the person that I know today. I enjoy trying to imagine what they were like at my age. (Although, I never, ever, ever needed to see the photo of a previous boss when she was a professional bodybuilder - and it was printed on a birthday cake no less!!!!)

StoryCorps is a series on NPR that strives “to honor and celebrate one another's lives through listening.” I also love our local paper’s weekly photo column titled “My First Car” typically old pictures of people posing in front of their autos.

Maybe it started all started from watching The Golden Girls. (Picture it, Sicily…) Either way, I’m a sucker for a good classic story.

StoryCorps
My First Car
The Golden Girls
TV Land's parody of Sex and the City - with Bea Arthur (you've got to see this)
TV Land's parody of Desperate Housewives - with Charo

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love hearing people tell their stories......sometimes when we first meet people we sit around and everyone tells their story......no pressure we can tell as much or as little as we want but it's always interesting to hear what someone has done in a previous life........